As the world comes together during COVID-19, the American University in the Emirate’s Office of Student Life & Community Engagement (OSL) seeks to maintain its mission during this life-changing crisis. Despite the onset of distance learning and social distancing, OSL connects with students virtually via an online webinar series as one of its means to maintain a sense of community and promote students’ wellbeing.
C3: Connecting to Combat Corona is a virtual student engagement and wellbeing program initiated and managed by OSL. Various students, professionals, and influencers are invited to participate in live webinars via AUE’s official Instagram Live account.
Throughout the month of Ramadan, OSL hosted a variety of C3 webinars that incorporated a mix of the arts, wellbeing, and practical knowledge. A few highlights of C3’s highlights include the following sessions:
- Chairperson of the Youth Council of the Community Development Authority, Ms. Huda AlBastaki, took her audience on a journey through exploring positive thinking and the remarkable effects it can have on one’s mental, emotional, and physical wellbeing.
- Lieutenant Ahmad AlBastaki, Assistant Expert in Biological and DNA and Forensics at Dubai Police, in his webinar spoke on “The Importance of DNA in Crime Scenes,” delving into the details of how forensic scientists solve crime scenes.
- Captain Ahmed Al Falasi, owner of PowerFit Gym in Dubai, shared useful tips on how to maintain a healthy lifestyle while staying at home through a webinar entitled “Maintaining Fitness and Nutrition.” Al Falasi stressed the importance of maintaining a balanced lifestyle despite the constraints that we face during this crisis.
- Emirati author and writer, Engineer Khaled Shukralla, enlightened students with tips on how to relieve stress through writing in his webinar entitled “Writing to Relieve Stress.”
- Local Emirati female artist and AUE Alumnus, Ms. Marwa Salah, guided her virtual audience through various “hands-on” workshops including how to design a scarf, how to personalize a mobile phone cover, and the basics of photography using the reverse-lens technique.
- AUE Student Council Communications & Outreach Officer, Mr. Mahmoud Farghali, provided students with a series of webinars that tackled practical issues that students face including how to prepare for final exams, how to choose a major, and how to plan for a future career.
- AUE Director of the Counseling and Disabilities Office, Dr. Jihene Mrabet, coached students through a webinar on how to cope with confinement and overcome negative thinking patterns.
- AUE Success Center Coordinator, Mr. Amged Hisham, proposed various tips on how to ensure a successful journey while studying at AUE, including information on how to access the success center and connect with mentors to promote academic success.
Stay tuned for more upcoming online virtual programs!
To contact the Office of Student Life & Community Engagement, please email [email protected] or Whatsapp 04 449 9199.