Professor Marks is Dean of the College of Computer Information Technology. He received his PhD degree in Management of Information Systems from the University of Salford, and his MS degree in Management of Information Systems from University of Central Florida. Prof. Marks is a project management professional (PMP), a Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA), and a Certified Risk Professional (CRISC).
Professor Marks has served in industry and academia in different leading capacities and roles, nationally and internationally, including the advisory council of Microsoft, Executive Advisory Council for Elucian, and product development team of Blackboard.
Prof. Marks is a global-minded leader in higher education administration, with expertise in developing and implementing strategic plans for higher education institutions, with an emphasis on growth, academic integrity, and efficiency. He has a proven record of accomplishment in fostering sustainable growth, managing academic programs, academic operations, and accreditation processes. Prof. Marks led several accreditation efforts with universities in the US and the UAE, including SACS, MSCHE, CAA, ABET, ACBSP, AACSB, NASAD, ACEJMC, CAEP, and ABBI. Dr. Marks is an external reviewer for MSCHE.
He was nationally recognized for his work in the area of academic programs assessment and design, where programs under his oversight were ranked the 5th best in the US by U.S News, and the 1st in the state of Florida.
Some of his leading achievements include:
- Developed and executed a plan to advance Zayed University QS ranking from 1000 to 600 range
- Developed and executed a plan to advance Zayed University QS start rating to 4 and 5 over three years.
- Winner of the international Catalyst award by Blackboard for best students learning experience 2019
- Achieved #5 ranking in U.S. News and World Report for best undergraduate online programs at ERAU
- Authored the first book in Aviation Information Systems
- Designed and launched the first English MOOCs platform in the MENA region “Zayed Virtual Bridge”
- Implemented the first block chain platform for degree verification in the MENA region, with EduchainPrior to American University in the Emirates, Prof. Marks served as the Provost Advisor for Academic Quality, Strategic Initiatives, and Academic Technology in Zayed University, serving more than 10500 students across two campuses in the UAE. He also served as a Tenured - Chair of Management and Technology with Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University; serving more than 7500 students across the US, Europe, Asia, and the Middle East, and using different instructional modalities. Prof. Marks has also served in the University of North Carolina, University of Central Floridan, Aspen University, and Kaplan University.
Prof. Marks teaches undergraduate and graduate courses in the areas of IT project management, systems analysis and design, knowledge management, information systems governance, and information security management. Prof. Marks research interests are focused on the use of higher education technology in supporting decision making and improving the teaching and learning cycle, enterprise systems, learning analytics, and risk assessment. He’s also published several articles in the state of academic technology in the MENA region.